Sunday, August 22, 2010














8-18 (Wed)

Our supervisor let us go at 1:30 on Wed so we could make tracks to Jackson Hole before it got too late. We stopped at a Visitor’s Center in the Tetons with interesting exhibits and a wonderful film. We drove through Teton Village and then on to Jackson.


8-19 (Thurs)
Our goal in going to Jackson was to see moose. We went back to the Tetons today and there was a bull moose in the river right down from the Visitor's Center. It actually turned out that there were three bulls. We parked our car and walked along the river bank with everyone else taking pictures. Then we drove along the narrow road toward Teton Village. We hadn’t even gone a mile when Nancy spotted a female. We were the first ones to spot it - a first for us. She had a calf with her. We took lots of pictures and then drove on to a pond where we heard there was another one. Sure enough in the water was another female who also had a calf.

From there we drove on to Jenny Lake. We took the boat across the lake and hiked to Hidden Falls and then on to Inspiration Point. From Inspiration Point you could look down on the entire valley. We walked, 3 miles around the lake and back to Jenny Lake parking lot.

We drove back to the Jackson town square and started looking for a place to have dinner. Everything was so expensive. Some woman was at the register in front of me in one of the stores. I saw her pull out a FL driver’s license. She had on a giant diamond. I asked her where she was from and she said Orlando. I told her I was too. She said they have a place in JH. Nancy said I should have told her we have a place in Montana and that we have a cook and yard man!


8-20 (Fri)
We got up at 6:30 so we could try to hunt down more moose. At the Tetons a ranger told us that the moose charged a couple of people yesterday when they got too close.

We drove to Teton Village where we saw some people paragliding. I asked one of the pilots how much it cost. I remembered in Peru I paid $50. I was thinking I would do it if I could get it for $75. He told me it cost $240. Needless to say I didn't go for it. We took a tram to the top of the mountain.
We stopped at a grocery store in Dillon on our way home. That is the place all the millionaires have moved to since the billionaires chased them out of Jackson. We didn't see any huge houses but did see row after row of big hangers with Lear Jets on the runway. I guess they fly in and then go to their homes in the hills.

We stopped at Mesa Falls (both the upper and lower) on our way back to Mammoth. We hiked to each one.

No comments: