Monday, October 10, 2011

10-10 (Mon) Istanbul

Another rainy, miserable day in Istanbul. When we left the hotel it wasn't raining but it wasn't long before it started. We went to the Four Seasons to use their facilities and then we just hung out there until it wasn't raining so hard.

We walked over to the Basilica Cistern built in 532 AD. It was used to store water for the Palace and surrounding buildings. It is supported by 336 columns arranged in 12 rows. In one corner are two columms supported by upside down Medusa heads.
We walked around this erie cavernous underground with it's "gold" lighting and carp swimming aound in the waters.

We walked in the rain to one of our favorite restaurants before continuing on to the Grand Bazzar with its 4,000 shops

On our way home I did it again . . . Barbara heard a scream and found me lying face down on the sidewalk. I think I stepped on a big wet leaf and my feet just flew out from under me. If I make it home without a broken leg or hip it will be a miracle. I was so upset because I broke my umbrella when I fell. This called for more laughing all the way home, laughing until I almost wet my pants.

We are doing okay in our third room, it isn't stinking yet!

No comments: