Sunday, October 15, 2006

11-15 (Sunday)
This morning we when to a chemist shop. I got some pills for sleep although I'm currently doing much better. The guy assured me they would keep me asleep for eight hours. Promises, promises.
It was fairly cool when we started out this morning and we only walked on the shady side of the streets. We went back to "Jacksonville's" store and I bought a really neat necklace that came from the hilltribes. It was expensive but I wanted it! We had lunch then decided to go to Starbucks for dessert. We were on our way back to the hotel because by the time we came out of "Jacksonville's" store my big toe was starting to hurt. I could hardly walk so I wanted to get my tennis shoes off and put on my flip flops. While we were eating our dessert we looked across the street and saw the locals setting up for the promised local market. We were thrilled. I decided to forget about my pain and limp as best as I could to the market. We stayed there for hours and I bought so many things. We ended the market shopping with an hour's foot massage. I told the guy to be careful of my toe - I think my toenail is ingrown. He wanted to cut it but I said, "No." I didn't want him using dirty insturnments on me and causing more problems. We had cashed checks earlier in the day, now I'm going to have to go back and cash some more because I spent so much money. We can use our bhats in Lao so it won't matter if I have too many. Their (Lao) money is like Myanmar money, it isn't worth anything.
We took a red taxi back to the hotel since I couldn't walk. We unloaded our loot, had "show and tell" and now we're at the net. We plan to go back to the market tonight when it is cooler. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do about my toe? If I could get some ebson salt I think that would help to soak it but I'm not hopeful of getting it. Suggestions? Help!

1 comment:

Gail said...

She is right about the cotton. If you take a miniscule piece and the very edge of a finger nail file and pack it in between the nail and the skin. Start with a few threads and just keep packing it in gently. This will lift the nail up and keep the edge from pressing. Don't go digging to cut it off, but you may be able reach the offending nail when you remove the packing the next morning. If not just repack it often until the nail grows a little longer. I have been enjoying reading about your adventures. Good Luck and stay safe. Gail