Thursday, November 15, 2007

11-13 (Tuesday) Amman

We took a cab "downtown" this morning to the old Roman Theater then walked along the streets. We went in one shop and started talking to the clerk from Bagdad who told us he was married to an American. He phoned her and she came right over to meet us. She was originally from some place in NY near where Lynda lives. She took us out for coffee. This girl was a live wire. She was wearing a head scarf because she converted to Islam 20 years ago when she married a Palestinian. She was originally Jewish. Go figure. She yapped all the time giving us her complete history. She is 20 years older than the guy she is currently married to. Do I sense a ticket to the US in this somewhere? Her husband gave me the name of a place I should go to get a bus to the King Hessian Bridge the next day. That's where I would cross into Israel. When I got back to the hotel I showed it to my fiend there and he said if I took that bus it would take me hours and hours to cross the border because that was a bus for Arabs. I got real upset about the whole thing because I wasn't sure what was going to be my best way of crossing. I talked it over with Lynda and I decided that I was going to try to take the Jet Bus the next day even though you were supposed to have reservations a day in advance I was going to give it a try.

I moved into a single room because Lynda was leaving at 10 p.m. to go to the airport for home. She hung out with me until it was time to depart.

I went downstairs to talk over my plans with the desk clerk ONE MORE TIME. An Oriental man came in with an American passport. He told the clerk he HAD to get to Jerusalem in the morning. I told him I was going too. I told him to meet me in the lobby at 6 a.m. and we would go to the Jet Bus together.

No comments: