Friday, November 16, 2007

11-16 (Friday) Jerusalem

I was at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre at 6:45 a.m. I wanted to get in to see the tomb of Jesus without waiting. There was a private mass going on so I ended up having to wait about 20 minutes but that was better than hours. They clean everything in the tomb from about 7:30 - 8:00 when it is closed. I went in a second time just before cleaning.

Later I was looking for the Damascus Gate but came upon the Lion's Gate. Outside was a Jewish cemetery from which I had a good view of the Rock of the Dome.

I walked the Stations of the Cross. I was back at Jaffa Gate by 10:00. I called and arranged for a pick up to the airport tomorrow at 9 a.m. for $12. I will be leaving for Egypt.

I headed out to the local bus station to get a lift to the Mt of Olives. What a view!

Today is the Muslim Holy Day. When I was coming out of the Souk they were coming in like ants after sugar. I could hardly make my way out.

I ate lunch at a local Arab place then walked to the Garden Tomb. This is where Protestants think Jesus was buried. Everybody else thinks it's the Church of the Sepulchre.

It is really cold here at night once the sun goes down at 4:30. After sundown tonight starts the Jewish Holy Day until sundown tomorrow night. I think that's right.

I'm getting picked up tomorrow at 9:00 for a 1 p.m. flight. Will be in Egypt by 5:00 tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait for a good shower. The one I have now is the pits. Also I'll bet they will have heat!!

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Nancy - Where are you? I've heard nothing from you since Friday, and I'm getting a little worried. If anyone has heard from Nancy since Friday, would you please leave a comment on this blog so I know she's OK. She's probably run off with a handsome man and his camel.

Lynda (I did the first half of the trip with Nancy)