Tuesday, November 06, 2007

11-2 (Friday)




I just typed a whole lot about this day and lost everything!






Lynda and I did Petra today. She decided she didn't want to walk in so she hired a horse cart - BIG mistake! The drivers whip the horses to make them go fast. When you get to the large stones (laid by the Romans) along the way I'm sure every tooth in your head feels like it is coming out of your head. Lynda said it was awful.

I walked in with the guide so he told me all the info along the way. Coming through the Siq and seeing the Treasury for the first time in daylight was awesome. After meeting up with Lynda and taking hundreds of pictures we walked down and saw the High Place of Sacrifice, the Royal Tombs the Theatre which could seat about 3,000 in 45 rows of seats- the orchestra section was carved into the rock. We saw the Urn Tomb and walked down Colonnade Street.

We decided to hire donkeys and go on to the Monastery. It was after noon so I wanted to eat first. We had 2 choices - one was run by the Holiday Inn Crown Plaza and cost 10 JD ($14US) - we chose the other on 7 JD ($10) and it was an excellent buffet. After eating Lynda got on her mule, Jack, and I got on ZooZoo for our ride up the 950 steps of the mountain. The mule owner walks along side of you. You have to get off before the Monastery and walk the rest of the way on your own. It is similar to the Treasury in design but far bigger. We saw a guy standing on the very top most pint on the urn. He began climbing around and jumping from one column top to another. Needless to say all eyes were on him. He was barefooted. I stayed and watched until he finally came down.

Lynda left and walked back down (this time you walk - no mules) and I decided to go to the "view." This was a long walk and many of the stones I had to cross were very slippery with sand. I slid a couple of times. The scariest part was right before you got to the view. The rocks were so smooth and on a slant with quite a ways to fall. Somehow I made it and there were Ros and Margaret from our hotel! The view was defiantly worth it.

On my way down I ran into the guy who was doing all the climbing. He is a Bedouin and said it's nothing for him. He said somethmes he spends the night in the Monastery.

We had a great day but were filthy when we left the site. My face was covered with sand.

No comments: